My attempt at nanowrimo

A Wicked Summer

Synopsis

The historical townships of freedom, New Hampshire, famous for its homemade cranberry preserves and said to be the location of an old abandoned mansion, which the steady population of 1,303 recalls being haunted or possibly not so abandoned… People dies of course, but not any faster than babies are born. Until that summer…


Chapter One - The end of an era

It was the last day of high school, and for me the last of my high school career. Everything is all set up for next year, I will be in New York city, studying film making and directing at NYU. I have been looking forward to that ever since I was five, all right perhaps I am exagerating, but let's just say - a while. For the moment, as school is over, I am just looking forward to a nice summer. I have a feeling, however, that it will not be a quiet one but a summer I will remember for the rest of my life as the summer of firsts.

Before we get any further in my story, let me tell you more about myself. My name is Soleil Moon Rivers. I know what you are thinking, "what kind of name is that?". I do not blame you. You see my parents grew up in the sixties, the flower-power-make-love-not-war-pot-smoking-sex-peace generation. Since my father's name was Rivers, they figured it would be perfect to name me Soleil Moon. Don't get me wrong, I love my name. I especially love that it makes me even more different than most of my peers. From the day I was born, according to my parents, they knew I would be different and deep down, I believe I knew it too from then on.

My family lives in sunny Los Angeles, California. I go, or rather used to go since I am now a high school graduate, with honours I might say, to Riverdale High. The high school most celibrities or child's of celebrities go to. My being so different as you can imagine always made it really hard to fit in. Especially since everyone at my school is rich and my family is not. I mean we make a decent enough living, but we are middle class compared to most of my peers. My parents had to fight for me to be accepted at this school, one of the best rated schools with an excellent drama program. Drama is my thing, from early on I have always loved performing for the art aspect of it compared to everyone else at this school who do not care if they do well their parents will get them into the acting business while, for myself, I always have had to fight but I do not mind, I would rather make it only from pure talent.

As you can probably assume, being so different from everyone, I have been a loner throughout most of my high school life and I am fine with that. Everyone seems so fake and stuck up except for one girl this year who became my bestfriend. Luna. Luna comes from a similar background as I do and also is interested in drama, directing and producing, the same as I am. In fact we both were accepted to NYU and will share a dorm together next year. I am psyche for that.

So this summer I was looking forward to having a nice quiet summer and spend it with my bestfriend just relaxing before we embark on our college journey. My parents however had a different idea. They thought I needed to get out of sunny LA and experience traveling. So they sent me to spend the summer with my cousin Katie in, you will never believe this, to Worthington, Ontario. Population: approximately 400. In northern ontario 15km west of sudbury. According to my Katie, the town would haunted but a ghost. Though she is known for making up stories appear more interesting, I do not blame her growing up in such a small and retreated town, I would try to invent stories to past the time a lot so I cannot be certain that it is indeed a fact. The latter intrigues me and made me want to go a little more since I am fascinated with ghost stories among other unusual things but why such a small place with nothing to do when I am used to the hustle and bright lights of the city.

And as a future movie producer / director, I am always looking for interesting movie ideas. This is why I plan to pack my video camera, just in case something interesting happened or a spark of genius movie idea strikes me.

I leave the day after tomorrow. My parents got me a plane ticket and set everything up with my aunt and uncle for them to pick me up at the airport. First I go from LA to New York then from New York to Toronto and then I fly with a smaller airline to get up north to Sudbury where my aunt and uncle will pick me up.

I wish I had time to enjoy New York and toronto a little but it will be too tight for that.

meanwhile, before I leave, I decided to spend my only last summer day before the college journey with my bestfriend Luna and make it count. We are going to see this fantastic play in San Francisco tomorrow, you know what that means road trip and we come back just before my flight leaves around four in the afternoon, which only will leave me two hours before my journey to Worthington, Ontario.

On the day of the road trip, Luna arrived bright and early. Luna and I are a lot alike aside from one thing, she is an early riser and I like my sleep. So at four in the morning, yes you read correctly, when I questioned why we needed to leaev at such an early hour, she told me in order to be in san francisco early enough to enjoy everything. It made sense since it was our last summer day in LA before our journey to college and I too wanted to make it the best one, especially since I never really had a bestfriend to take road trips before. The first of the FIRSTS for me.

"hey, Sol!", this is what Luna and most people called me, shorter than saying my name and makes it less odd I thought.

"Ready to hit the road?", Luna said to me as I climbed down the stairs. She was deep in conversation with my dad trying to explain tarot to him.

"Now, you see Mr. Rivers, just because you pulled the death card doesn't not necessarily mean a death will occur." Luna explaining.

"Huh huh", my dad responds confused and totally not understanding but fascinated. No one can't help be fascinated when Luna speaks of her passion, she has this way of captivating your mind.

"Okay, I am ready", I say to Luna. "Let's go!"

"Soleil, honey, is your luggage ready for the trip to Marvin's tomorrow? my mom asks making sure I am all packed.

My mom always called me by my full name, she is the one who picked it and loves it. She never really loved that everyone called me Sol but learned to deal with it, that is what teens do, give each other nicknames.

"Yes mom, all ready", I respond. "We will be back around four in the afternoon tomorrow, which leaves plenty of time to get to the airport. Bye!"

"Bye!", my mom says.

"Bye sweetheart. Have a safe trip", my dad adds.

My parents always were sad that I didn't fit in with anyone at my high school, and joined clubs and made a lot of friends. They are both social butterflies and always have been so they never really understood that I preferred the solitary life to the constant parties and regular teenage activities. They always tried to enroll me in a variety of activities, mainly sports because she thought I needed to meet other people my age rather than hang out in artsy coffee shops reading and enjoying petry , etc.


Research link:


http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/worthington/worthington.asp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

first attempt at nanowrimo